Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Alastair Galbraith


New Zealand's Alastair Galbraith is, to my mind, a singular musical voice that everyone should know - sadly few do. The first album I heard by him was mirrorwork. It changed the way I thought about the concept of "song" in ways that I can't really express. It is now available along with some of his other works at Bandcamp.

To my taste, the 2008 album Orb is, next to mirrorwork, the stand out from the four available on bandcamp.



But you really can't go wrong with anything that Galbraith has been involved with. If you can track it down his work with Plagal Grind is particularly nice.



Being immersed in Galbraith's works was a huge player in my being able to contribute in a small way to the Dustdevil & Crow records, which are really some of the work I am most proud of. Bendle's work is tilted on a different axis than Galbraith's, but they share some strange orthogonal relationship to each other and the rest of the musical world.

No comments:

other places to visit